funsec mailing list archives

Re: LSSU issues annual list of words to be banished

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 14:14:04 -0000

[For some reason didn't get the original]
On Jan 3, 2008 6:30 PM, Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
wrote:
"SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. -- The wordsmiths at Lake Superior State University are giving back to English speakers everywhere with their 33rd annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness.

Why have they got wordsmith in? I'm all in favour of using the original Anglo-Saxon words rather than the Latin/Greek rip-offs we use now:
wordsmith vs author
forelast vs penultimate

No contest; the anglo-saxon word wins every time...

dave