funsec mailing list archives

Interesting Wifi research

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:08:34 -0500

When I was in NYC, I saw more than 70% of all wireless connections
were encrypted in my neighborhoods, but on top of that: a lot of the
non-encrypted routers had MAC restrictions (of course it woudn't be
hard to get a legit mac from non-encrypted traffic, just throwing it
out there)

from: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/010408-a-wi-fi-virus-outbreak-researchers.html?page=2

Using this data, they were able to map out large networks of made out
of Wi-Fi routers that were each no more than 45 meters (49 yards) from
the network -- in other words, close enough for an infection to
spread. The largest such network in New York included 36,807 systems;
in Boston it was 15,899; and in Chicago: 50,084.

Because New York is such a dense city with a relatively low percentage
(25.8%, according to the researchers) of encrypted routers, it was
particularly susceptible to this type of attack. San Francisco, on the
other hand, where 40.1% of routers are encrypted and which had a lower
density of routers was less susceptible.