funsec mailing list archives

CompUSA Refuses To Accept Cash

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:56:13 +0200 (EET)

"A CompUSA cashier summoned her manager and a security guard when Bud tried to pay for his purchases with cash.
The promise of 40% discounts drew Bud to the Boisie, Idaho store, but he settled for a 10% discount on an iMac and
several accessories."

This is how the customer describes the case:
I start counting out hundred dollar bills and the clerk goes nuts!
"Sir, we don't accept cash for this kind of purchase! You must use a credit card!" she says at the top of her lungs. (I
see her also hit a button on the phone at the same time.)

Instantly a man shows up, clearly the manager from his nametag and the rent-a-cop security guy. Both tell me the same
thing, "NO CASH! You have to pay with a credit card!""

And he or she continues:
So I called the store to see if the items I wanted were in stock, after I asked the guy about them he said,
"I know who you are, your the guy that wanted to pay cash. My district manager & corporate called me and read me the
riot act over this. Thanks for getting me in trouble!"

More at
http://consumerist.com/346965/compusa-refuses-to-accept-cash

Juha-Matti