funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac trojan in-the-wild

From: "Dr. Neal Krawetz" <hf () hackerfactor com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:23:50 -0600 (MDT)

I've been reading this thread and I don't understand why there is this
assumption that Mac users are lax or stoopid...

I have a Mac.  I also use Linux, BSD, Windows, and many other OS's.

Yes: there are very few malware instances for the Mac.
Yes: there is virtually no AV for the Mac.

However, I don't know any Mac users who are not also Windows users.
And ever Mac user I know (in and out of the security field) are much more
cautious about their systems.  They regularly update and they don't run
software that they don't know.  They have learned these lessons from
watching (and being) Windows users.

Based on the screen shots of this trojan, you must accept the download.
One screen shot even requires you to enter your admin password.
While Windows users (particularly Vista) would do this without a second
thought, I suspect that Mac users will be more cautious and few people
will fall for it.

Mac viruses won't become wide-spread until they can auto-install and run
without human assistance (like Windows malware).

Am I missing something here?  (Beyond the Apple bashing?)

                                        -Neal
--
Neal Krawetz, Ph.D.
Hacker Factor Solutions