funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac trojan in-the-wild

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:11:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, B Potter wrote:

On Oct 31, 2007, at 7:05 PM, Gadi Evron wrote:

I disagree. Even if it was for a martian computer and useless, AVs will detect it for the sake of detecting it. Them not doing so is just another example of how useless the AV *itself* is unfortunately becoming--more and more.

agreed.  I think the current AV situation is totally borked

I can sum it up in one sentence: OS X is the new Windows 98. Investing in security ONLY as a last resort losses money, but everyone has to learn it for themselves.

What?

I'm a pretty big mac fanboy, and I try not to bite on anti-mac stuff, but I can't stay silent on this one. OS X in 2007 is nothing like Windows 98 either in risk to the enterprise or market positing wrt security. Windows 98 was installed on 95% of the PC's on the planet, was a monolithic operating system with no separation between users/processes/data, and really had no capability to even be secured if someone wanted to. OS X, for as much as all us fan boys like to pretend it's a contender in the OS market, still only has a fraction of the user population that Windows has. It's build on a BSD platform and has all the security benefits therein. Apple has also done a reasonably good job of providing better and better knobs to control all the security features they have (both inherent BSD security and added on).

That said, Apple has written some lousy code, for sure, and some of their security features aren't fully baked... but that is a far different situation than Windows 98. In 1998, you really couldn't find a reference to "security" on microsoft's website. For years, Apple has touted security as a discriminator. At least Apple knew how to spell security when they developed the OS.

Wait a year. So much unpatched, no visible process in place, new itw attacks.

Mac users are en route to hell.