funsec mailing list archives

RE: Former U.S. Cyber Security Czar Calls for 'Closed Internet'

From: "Young, Keith" <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:34:18 -0400

[Richard] Clarke said. "Why should the part of the internet that's
connected to the power grid be open? Why should that part of
the internet that runs nuclear laboratories be open? Why
shouldn't there be a closed internet? There are already relatively
closed internets - and now we need to think seriously about expanding
them."

He has a bad choice of words ("closed internet" sends shivers through my spine), but he is absolutely correct:
1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIPRNET
2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JWICS
3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIPRNET

It has been done, "relatively" successfully, for years.

--Keith

Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services
Montgomery County, Maryland