funsec mailing list archives

Re: BBC: Skies to be swept for alien life

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:39:55 -0400

On 10/12/07, Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:
"Funded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, the finished array will have 350 six-metre antennas and will be one of
the world's largest.

The Allen Telescope Array (ATA) will be able to sweep more than one million star systems for radio signals generated
by intelligent beings. "

One would think that if you wanted to eavesdrop on an intelligent
space-faring civilization you would have to listen for something other
than radio waves, as light speed communications would be almost
useless.

We might find people at our own level of advancement with this array,
but we wouldn't be able to talk with them.

-JP<master of the obvious>