funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Dodd Filibuster Threat Wins - Spying Bill Postponed to N ext Year

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:54:54 -0500

On Dec 20, 2007 12:25 AM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

- -- "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:

How is postponing the inevitable a victory?

I guess you can take what you can get when you have control of both
majorities and still want to convince the public you are doing
something..

I didn't say it was a "victory" -- I was just being the messenger.

True that.

My own opinion is that this will be a hard fight, and one that will
most likely fail -- due to the spineless legislators who cow-tow to
the ultra-right wing fanatics who keep saying that "...terrorists
are at your door...".

Looks like the left is taking up that banner as well..

So, I will not grant you the "inevitability" factor. I still believe
in the U.S Constitution.

Do you?

Not really. In my (admittedly short) experience there are two worlds
of law in the States. The one on TV and Newspaper, and then one in
real life. The world in the TV and News has a constitution, but not
Real Life.

Businesses operate in Real Life, as do Police and Politicians.

If I could make one edit to the Constitution, it would be to make sure
that the legislators have increased liability that matches their
increased privileges: I.E.: If break the law, they go to jail too, not
just get "punished" with an early retirement. I would also throw in a
line about lying to the public being punishable by jail time, with a
mandatory storage and recording of all communications with their
staff.

Just a thought.

-JP