funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] UK police given real-time access to congestion-charge cameras..

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:38:38 -0400

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6902543.stm

  "Police are to be given live access to London's congestion charge cameras -
  allowing them to track all vehicles entering and leaving the zone.

  Anti-terror officers will be exempted from parts of the Data Protection Act to
  allow them to see the date, time and location of vehicles in real time.
  They previously had to apply for access on a case-by-case basis."

I suppose we all could see *that* coming - mission creep from "congestion
charge" to "catching terrorists".

My favorite quote:

  "But they will only be able to use the data for national security purposes
   and not to fight ordinary crime, the Home Office stressed."

Anybody want to start a pool how long *THAT* will last before mission creep
hits that one too?