funsec mailing list archives

RE: Shocker: DKIM antispam standard can't stop spam

From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:46:10 -0400

Damn it, I know I've told people this a thousand times, but I guess
you have to see it in print to believe it, eh? :-)

I really ought to just shut up about this because this story gets
written every few months and I have to explain it every time, but nobody
who ever actually tried to understand DKIM or any other SMTP
authentication effort ever thought that it alone would stop spammers.
They were never designed to do that alone.

All SMTP authentication does is to authenticate the sender, or at least
the domain of the sender. You need to combine this with reputation
services in order to get real value out of it. Because systems like DKIM
work on domains as opposed to IP addresses they won't have as much
collateral damage for blacklists.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/