funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bizarre Story of the Day: Metallica Singer's Beard Spooks Brits

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:12:23 +0100

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 21:55:57 +0100, Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
Due to his "Taliban-like beard", rock group Metallica's frontman, James
Hetfield, was detained at the Luton Airport in London on Thursday.

On his way to play at the Live Earth concert, Hetfield was interrogated by
officials who suspected he was a terrorist. Fortunately, he was able to
convince authorities that he was actually a rock star rather than a member
of al-Qaida.

If we dig back to the original article in The Times: (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2034109.ece) James Hetfield, the frontman with US metal rockers Metallica, was apparently questioned by security officials at Luton airport when arriving for the Live Earth gig at Wembley. Friends put it down to his “Taliban-like beard”. We’re thinking of a particular scene in This Is Spinal Tap.

The only reference to terrorism is by his mates... It looks like he was just questioned; this could have been for many reasons (e.g. visited dodgy country, was drunk, had form in the UK, looked like he was carrying drugs ad nauseam).

dave