funsec mailing list archives

Re: GSS warns that hackers can now destroy hardware

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:57:23 -0500

On 9/28/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

What would constitute a non-rigged demo for you? Live, production systems?

Roll the NBC Dateline footage of the exploding pickup truck again...

That was that, this is this. This is where cynicism becomes a
hindrance to progress.

There's a world of difference between a "see, it could happen" video and
something we actually need to worry about.

This is something we actually need to worry about.

(Personally, I'm about 350 times more worried about utility failures caused
by worms accidentally propagating onto a SCADA net than I am about intentional
attacks, if for no other reason than there's a lot more probing bots out there
than there are actual cyberterrorists.  But that's just me.)

Me too, but that doesn't discount the need to take this type of attack
into consideration. Besides, they didn't say how they hacked the
system. It could have been a Windows SCADA machine that had a worm
that contained a backdoor.