funsec mailing list archives

Please no science on an Intel Mac

From: <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:56:54 -0400

My step-daughter found out about this SPSS bug the hard way:  She got random
results when crunching her experimental numbers in SPSS on an Intel Mac.
Pretty unbelievable.  Intel Macs have been out for 18 months.  Couldn't the
Rosetta emulator be fixed in this time?  Or why didn't SPSS develop a
work-around to the problems in Rosetta emulator?  I also don't understand
how a Rosetta emulator bug would break running the Windows version of SPSS
when running XP on an Intel Mac.

Richard

http://www.spss.com/spss_mac/system_req.htm

SPSS does not support the use of any existing version of SPSS for Mac OS X
on the new Intel-based Mac hardware, including SPSS 11.x or 13.0. The
Rosetta emulation software Apple uses to enable Power PC-based applications
on its IntelR hardware interferes with the numerical calculations in SPSS.
Additionally, SPSS does not support the use of SPSS for Windows under
emulation or dual-booting-including Boot Camp, Parallels, and Virtual PC.
Therefore, SPSS is currently unable to support any version of SPSS on
Intel-based Macintosh machines.