funsec mailing list archives

Re: State of Connecticut looking for encryption expert

From: "Dr. Neal Krawetz" <hf () hackerfactor com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 07:18:20 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun Sep 16 17:20:04 2007, Richard M. Smith wrote:

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Connecticut says bank records of virtually every state agency were on
computer backup tape that was stolen from a car... Developing...

Isn't Connecticut the same state that arrested Julie Amero because her
computer started popping up porn?
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Amero

And isn't Connecticut the same state that arrested two people for using
chalk and flour to make a path for runners?
  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20441775/
My favorite quote is from Mayoral spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga:
  "You see powder connected by arrows and chalk, you never know," she said.
  "It could be a terrorist, it could be something more serious.  We're
  thankful it wasn't, but there were a lot of resources that went into
  figuring that out."

Are they sure that the tape was stolen?
Perhaps they should change their state nickname from the "Constitution
State" to the "Paranoia State" or "The Panicky State".  Then again, the
"Nutmeg State" seems apt.
  http://www.50states.com/bio/nickname1.htm

Richard: I could not find the link at www.drudgereport.com, but I think
I found it here:
  http://scoop.epluribusmedia.org/story/2007/9/17/12428/9687
  http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/connecticut/ny-bc-ct--datatheft0917sep16,0,6653884.story

For some reason, this recent tape loss reminds me of another Connecticut
tape loss, from January 2006:
  http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,107661,00.html
I guess they are living up to their other state nickname, the "Land of
Steady Habits".

                                        -Neal
--
Neal Krawetz, Ph.D.