funsec mailing list archives

RE: Sunbelt: Gromozon Malware Digitally Signed by Thawte

From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:06:49 -0400

I think it only affects install time. Currently-installed copies will
continue to run.

Based on what was said in the Atsiv incident, I think there is an
internal CRL in Windows to which Microsoft could add the program, and
that would be checked at load time. They don't do this casually as it
requires a Windows Update distribution. Microsoft could also add a
Windows Defender signature for it, as they did with Atsiv.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.eweek.com/cheap_hack/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com