funsec mailing list archives

Re: old news - but not here

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:22:23 -0500

On 9/13/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

I think your point here is that women's bare chests are naughty, and men's
aren't. And you can't see that this is just a cultural idea, not an
absolute.

No, I don't think women's chests are naughty - I like 'em fine. What I
said, specifically, was that they could ban men from displaying their
chests and I would not have an argument.

And somehow, you've decided that to be human, you must be able to show
your face.

To be known, to be something other than a walking towel, yes...

Makes sense though, its probably easier to stone a person to death
when you've never seen, and can't see, their face.

True. It's also easier to administer a lethal injection if you don't look
the guy in the eyes while you do it.

Absolutely.

The problem here, is that if it's the religious beliefs that govern the
nakedness standards, then it's a bunch of priests deciding, not the
people.

The priests hold influence, not a vote.

Besides, it seems obvious that what the individual Iranians want is
NOT the same as what their dictators want.

You thought that about Iraq, too.

I still do. Even suffering through a maddeningly biased "documentary"
the other night, all of the Iraqis were glad Saddam was gone. Thought
its true they probably would have preferred our help the FIRST time
out...