funsec mailing list archives

Pilots: Cockpits remain vulnerable to terrorist assault

From: <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:09:35 -0400

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/09/10/protecting.cockpits/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- If one hardened cockpit door is good, would two barriers
be even better?

Many airline pilots believe the answer is "yes," and are hoping to
reinvigorate efforts to require so-called "secondary barriers" on every
commercial plane in the country.

Pilots praise the hardened cockpit doors mandated after 9/11, saying they
have done as much as anything to protect aircraft from terrorist assaults.
But planes remain vulnerable for short periods of time during some flights
when pilots go to the lavatory, get meals or, on long flights, change out
crews.

Currently, flight attendants sometimes block the aisle with beverage carts
to prevent possible terrorists from rushing the cockpit. But pilots believe
the barriers -- relatively inexpensive gates that would be deployed before
pilots come out of the cockpit -- would solve that vulnerability.

"This is an absolute no-brainer," Capt. Bob Hesselbein of the Air Line
Pilots Association said. "Of all the things we could do, the most
cost-effective thing we could do right now is put the device in."