funsec mailing list archives

Re: Not so fun! TCM Acupuncture Textbook is mistranslated

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () ufl edu>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 16:33:50 -0400

On May 23, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Dave Paris wrote:

This does not surprise me in the least. I've been an advocate of acupuncture since my first session 16 years ago. I've been to Korean, Chinese, and American practitioners. (in NY, all must be state licensed)

I have /NEVER/ had a good experience with a Western-trained practitioner. At this point, I will only go to a multi-disciplined Chinese practitioner - one with both formal medical training and classic Eastern acupuncture training. My current (and will be for as long as he's in practice) is a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon (and former head of the Orthopedic Department when he was a surgeon in China) and has exceptional talent with acupuncture. His wife is also a formally trained herbologist - they make an exceptional combination. The Korean practitioner I went to was trained in China and was rather good, but not as good as the one I have now.

The fact that there is a mistranslation is quite understandable. Many of the Chinese medical texts are written in *classic* Chinese (as would be written/spoken in Taiwan), and *not* the current "simplified" Chinese that mainland China uses now. As a medical practitioner, my acupuncturist was required to take a *two year* course on learning classic Chinese so he could fully understand the material. (ironically, we were just discussing this at my last session)

Ehh? Simplified versus traditional is not that hard of a leap to make. They're not different languages, just different character sets. The words themselves are the same no matter which is used to represent them. I'm not sure that this has anything to do with mistranslations occurring. Granted, I only took a year of traditional chinese here at the university, so I'm hardly an expert, but if somebody mis-translated the text, it's more likely they just plain didn't know the language all that well, and less that they were unfamiliar with traditional/simplified characters.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer