funsec mailing list archives

Re: Brit bobbies play with model airplanes while on the job

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:43:33 -0500

On 5/21/07, Richard M. Smith <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:

Assistant chief constable Simon Byrne said: "People clamour for the feeling
of safety which cameras give.

"Obviously there is a point of view that has been expressed but our feedback
from the public is anything we can do to fight crime is a good thing.

"There are safeguards in place legally covering the use of CCTV and the
higher the level of intrusion, the higher the level of authority needed
within the police force to use it. So there is that balance there."

Security always comes at the expense of freedom. Seems Simon believes
in the benevolence of government and the authority of a majority.
Yuck.