funsec mailing list archives

Re: MS Singularity - singularly impossible?

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 10:26:25 +0200

* Dude VanWinkle:

4: ) The closed API invariant: The API between a
process and the system must maintain the fixed
code, state isolation, and explicit communication
invariants.

My question is the usage of the word "cannot" in the 4 above
invariants.

You mean how the invariant is enforced?  A sufficiently advanced type
system could do this.  But as far as I can tell, the invariants only
apply to the Singularity API, not to APIs created by applications.
This means that one manual (or assisted) proof is sufficient to show
that an invariant holds.

On the other hand, writing secure *applications* for the system is not
made easier.  For all we know, on top of the kernel, there could be
personalities that export a traditional Linux or Windows API.

How would this be possible? would everything be considered .text?

Singularity uses a trusted compiler, much like the Burroughs MCP
system.