funsec mailing list archives

Men Apologize for Cartoon Stunt

From: <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:36:33 -0400

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8P29RGO1&show_article=1

BOSTON (AP) - Two men who planted
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22electronic+devices%22&sid=breitbart.com>
electronic devices in a botched television promotion that prompted a
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22bomb+scare%22&sid=breitbart.com> bomb
scare apologized Friday and performed
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22community+service%22&sid=breitbart.com>
community service to resolve the
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22criminal+charges%22&sid=breitbart.com>
criminal charges against them.

Peter Berdovsky, 27, and Sean Stevens, 28, said they never expected the
stunt to cause any turmoil.

"I deeply regret that this incident caused such anguish and disruption to so
many people," Berdovsky told the Charlestown District Court.

Stevens said he saw the devices simply as "harmless entertainment."

"I had no intention of upsetting or alarming anyone," he said.

The two were accused of planting about three dozen battery-powered devices
in Boston and Cambridge on Jan. 31. The devices, a promotion for
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22Cartoon+Network%22&sid=breitbart.com>
Cartoon Network, had lights that created images of a cartoon character
making an obscene gesture.

Fears of terrorism arose when the devices were discovered in a subway
station and on a bridge, among other locations. Bomb squads were deployed,
and highways, bridges and some transit stations were temporarily closed.

Similar signs were placed in nine other cities around the United States, but
only in Boston did they elicit such a response.

Berdovsky and Stevens were charged with placing a hoax device and
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22disorderly+conduct%22&sid=breitbart.com>
disorderly conduct.

In exchange for the community service and public apology, prosecutors agreed
not to pursue the criminal case. Berdovsky performed 80 hours of service and
Stevens completed 60 hours at the Spaulding Rehabilitation Center in Boston.

Attorney General Martha Coakley said it would have been difficult to prove
to a jury that the men intended to create panic, and that she did not
believe they realized the problems the ads would cause.

"We believe this was an appropriate and fair resolution," Coakley said.

Berdovsky said he was relieved the case was resolved without a trial.

"I am looking forward to what the future has to bring. I'm just going to be
working really hard and working on my art and working to build a really
peaceful community for all of us to live in," Berdovsky told The Associated
Press by telephone after the hearing.

At Spaulding, the men designed a cartoon mural that will be painted in a
waiting area for children undergoing
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22physical+therapy%22&sid=breitbart.com>
physical therapy, said Oz Mondejar, Spaulding's vice president of human
resources. They also helped patients use computers, cleaned the hospital's
sailing docks and helped produce a DVD featuring patients talking about
their rehabilitation successes.

The contrite apologies offered in court Friday were in contrast to their
behavior at their first court appearance in January, when they mugged for
the camera and waved to friends in the courtroom.