funsec mailing list archives

RE: Hasn't the LA Times and Humphrey Cheung ever heard of the Electronics Communications Privacy Act?

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:50:35 -0400

My understanding is that with WEP everyone gets the same encryption key, so
the network traffic is still sniffable.  WPA, OTOH, gives everyone on a WiFi
network there own a unique encryption key.  Startbucks/TMobile probably
should be using WPA with a public password.  Ditto for other public WiFi
networks.  I assume that most laptops nowadays support WPA.

SSL/HHTPS can also fix many of the WiFi security problems.  For email, I use
SSL with SMTP and POP3.  Hopefully all Web login pages, order forms, etc.
are using https.

Richard