funsec mailing list archives

RE: Barclaycard shenanigans.

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:28:41 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, David Harley wrote:

"Oh, it's not a sales call," she said - I hadn't suggested
that it was, at that point. But she was keen to get on with
her script.  "It's an administrative call. Your account says
you don't want sales calls, but that means you're missing
lots of great offers, and I'm calling to get you to change
that." So we chatted a bit more, and hung up.

I got one of those. (I don't bank with Barclays though, so I didn't think
about talking to them about it.) She went straight to the point, we didn't
discuss card details, I declined. In fact, I was mildly amused at the cheek
of it. But I agree that the implications are more than uncomfortable.

Some marketroid came up with this idea. Someone fairly senior must have
approved it - I'd quite like to identify that senior person, and have a
chat with them about their double glazing requirements.