funsec mailing list archives

Re: Registries Falling Down on the Job: nic.at Domains Blacklisted by Spam haus for Phishing

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:24:55 -0400 (EDT)

The solution to this, then, is obvious.

nic.at is clearly unable to setup and run a satisfactory registry
operation so ICANN should move quickly to revoke nic.at's status and
distribute nic.at's userbase,

If this is nic.at operating in its capacity as manager of the .at
domain, then I don't think ICANN would even consider this - and, to be
fair, I don't think they should.  ccTLDs really should, IMO, be up to
the country they belong to; the correct response to this, from this
point of view, is to block anything Austrian until they clean up.

Yes, some countries may have laws that make it impossible for their
ccTLD managers to be responsible net.citizens.  This is a matter for
those countries to work out within themselves; until they get their
laws, and then their ccTLD admins, fixed, they should be shunned.  If
they'd rather be confined within their own borders than clean up,
that's their choice, and it really isn't for the rest of the world to
gainsay them.

If, on the other hand, this is nic.at operating as a gTLD registrar
(are they one? I don't know), then, of course, they should be subject
to the same civilized behaviour requirements as any other gTLD
registrar.

Of course, that assumes ICANN actually gives a rat's arse -- I don't
recommend you hold your breath...

Well, yes, there's that.  They've fairly convincingly demonstrated, by
their long-standing inaction (despite having had the problems pointed
out to them repeatedly, both publicly and privately), that they *don't*
care in any operational sense.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca