funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Which ISPs "kiss & tell"?

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:30:21 -0400

ISPs May Be  <http://slashdot.org/articles/07/03/16/1958211.shtml> Selling
Your Web Clicks

Posted by Zonk <http://slashdot.org/~Zonk/>  on Friday March 16, @05:16PM
from the hey-those-are-mine dept.
 <http://slashdot.org/search.pl?tid=187> Businesses
Mozzarella writes "Could our ISPs be selling our click data without us even
knowing it? It seems like the practice is happening a lot more than we
realize, and can be tracked for each user. Complete Incorporated's CTO David
Cancel told
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070315-your-isp-may-be-selling-your-
web-clicks.html> Ars Technica that his company (an internet research firm)
licenses click information from ISPs for 'millions of dollars' to figure out
how we use the web. From the article: 'He did not give a specific figure
about what this broke down to in terms of dollars per ISP user, although
someone in the audience estimated that it was in the range of 40 per user
per month - this estimate was erroneously attributed to Cancel himself in
some reports on the event. Cancel said that this clickstream data is 'much
more comprehensive' than data that is normally gleaned through analyzing
search queries.'"
  <http://slashdot.org/login.pl> [+] business
<http://slashdot.org/tags/business> , internet
<http://slashdot.org/tags/internet>  (tagging beta