funsec mailing list archives

Government and FDE endeavor

From: "Randall M" <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:50:24 -0600

Found this to be very interesting:

posted to Daily Dave.

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 22:09:24 -0500
From: "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Dailydave] U.S. Gov't to use Full Disk Encryption on All
        Computers
To: dailydave () lists immunitysec com

To address the issue of data leaks from stolen or missing laptops, US
Government is planning to use Full Disk Encryption (FDE) on all of the
Government owned computers. On June 23, 2006 a Presidential Mandate was put
in place requiring all agency laptops to fully encrypt data on the HDD. The
US Government is currently conducting the largest single side-by-side
comparison and competition for the selection of a Full Disk Encryption
product. The evaluation will come to a end in 90 days.
The selected product will be deployed on Millions of computers in the US
federal government space.  This implementation will end up being the largest
single implementation ever, and all of the information regarding the
competition is in the public domain.

...... Read complete text at:
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net/fde_govt.html

------------------------------

Ok, so I'm thinking about the $500 hammers and $200 toilet seats.  What kind
of gold rush will this bring. No one (with abilities) in their right mind
would pass this by. I'm sitting here thinking what side jobs might be
available? What process must happen to complete such a task.

Thank You
Randall M

"You too can have your very own Computer!"

Note: Side effects include:
Blue screens; interrupt violation;
illegal operations; remote code
exploitations; virus and malware infestations;
and other unknown vulnerabilities.