funsec mailing list archives

Re: Is Google's Personalized Search spyware?

From: "Mike Owen" <kyphros () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 12:08:19 -0800

On 2/4/07, Richard M. Smith <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:

I  realized that he had never logged out of my laptop, and that all the searches,  personal and professional, that I
had done for the last two months using my  laptop were now part of his search history.  He had access to all of it – as
if it  were his.  Now who owns  what?

The simple fix for the client side, is to just not allow javascript
for .google.com.   You don't need it to use their search engine, or
even the email service I'm utilizing right now. When you have it
disabled, the google search history won't collect any data.

Mike

(Well, they are probably still collecting your searches, but as of
this email, the search history tool doesn't)