funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] 26 IRS Tapes Missing in Kansas City

From: Shyaam <shyaam () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:45:33 -0500

Thanks a lot for listing Mr.Vladis. I really did not  think of these cases
when listing. I am lacking in looking at every aspect. My knowledge is
limited, but I really do understand the different ways to look into things
from different angles, from your response. Well, yes, it is always a trade
off and nothing has a perfect answer on such scenarios. I wouldn't agree
that I gave the "best" list after seeing your response that had scenarios
that I did not even consider :-).

Thanks a lot once again.
Kind Regards,
Shyaam

On 1/22/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 21:06:57 EST, Shyaam said:
> forensics". So best is to avoid people storing CONFIDENTIAL data on
portable
> devices no matter what their security clearance level is. The other best
> thing is to use always track data that goes in and out of the network.
The
> next is to not let people whom you dont know into the building
> itself(perimeter) and to restrict people from moving from one department
> floor to the other or something of that sort(perimeter protection). Cant
> these be simple for people to take action on ?

The problem is that it's all about *tradeoffs* - yes, you've enumerated
the
"best" way to do all that stuff.  The problem is that in trying to
*enforce*
that, you end up hitting all these corner cases where implementing proper
security gets in the way of actually getting work done.

For instance - security-wise, it would be "best" if the files that Social
Services has on their clients stay on the central servers.  However, what
do
you do if you have a case worker that makes house calls, and having the
files
on a laptop where they can reference them while at the site would make
things
a lot easier?

What do you do if you have a valued employee who has legitimate reasons to
telecommute?

And so on, in a twisty little maze of corner cases, all different....

And it gets worse - that social worker doesn't understand computer
security,
and they don't want to.  They have a Master's in Psychology or some social
science, and *their* job is to make sure that these kid's mom is staying
off
crack.  That worker's manager isn't interested either - he's responsible
for making sure as many client moms stay off crack as possible.  You go up
the org chart food chain, and by the time you hit somebody that *might*
care
about security, it's probably somebody who doesn't even *know* that social
worker is on the payroll, and is too busy worrying about getting the
department
their share of Federal money to think about computer security.

And if you've *ever* put in a temporary firewall rule because something
had to
work *this afternoon*, you're just as guilty as that social worker's
manager,
who OK'ed putting stuff on laptops because work had to get done *this
week*.
More so, because you should know better...

--
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Shyaam Sundhar R.S., GREM, GHTQ, GWAS