funsec mailing list archives

Re: Funsec archive publication

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:01:02 -0800 (PST)

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:46:11 -0800
From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
To: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Subject: Re: [funsec] Funsec archive publication
Cc: funsec () linuxbox org

Drsolly wrote:
Maybe we should revisit this. There's stuff I would post, but wouldn't
want to get immediate widespread circulation.

I seem to recall this list was created as a sink for the off-topic stuff
that otherwise bubbles over into lists that are supposed to be fairly
utilitarian. That doesn't mean that it also needs to be public, but it's
an easy way for Gadi to allow anyone here, and not have to keep separate
sets distinct, and not have to vet yet another list or lists.

This list was created to serve as an "off-topic" list for some other
list - probably nanog, where *SOME* people were always complaining
about Fergie's posts.  (Personally, I thought they were - mostly -
interesting.)

It appears to me that the list 'purpose' has morphed from pretty much
"Fun Security-related" to "Fun Security-related, Security discussion"
probably because some of the persons here are not "vetted" to the other
more secure lists.  (Me, for instance - although I'd be glad to provide
my CV to whomever would like to see it...)

Since I don't have access to those "other" lists, there HAVE been
things that I *would* have said here if the list had not been publicly
archived.

Anyway, my $0.000002 worth.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

If the problem is that it's public, and people didn't realize that,
that's been taken care of for this cycle.

If the problem is that you want to go off-topic, but to a private set of
people with a no-share policy, I'm sure Gadi will be happy to create
another list, and let you control membership.

                                              BB

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin