funsec mailing list archives

Comcast plays the heavy with email providers in the spam wars

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:26:37 -0500

Hi,

Any opinions on this move by Comcast against POBox.com?  Have any other
email providers or ISPs been hit with this same ultimatum by Comcast?  Are
other ISPs also trying to play the heavy against smaller email proviers?

I also don't see how this change cuts down on spam messages going to Comcast
customers.  It does however, block spam messages which originate on spam-bot
infected PCs belonging to Comcast customers.

If I were a pobox.com customer, I would wonder about their anti-spam
filters.  I hate to miss a legit email message because it was considered
spam.  I run the built-in Outlook anti-spam software and it requires a bit
of fiddling to get all the options set correctly to avoid loosing real
messages.

Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com

Begin forwarded message: