funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hackers Post On DuPage County Election Website

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:41:33 -0500

On 10/29/06, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
Via CBS2Chicago.com (AP)

[snip]

DuPage County's computer experts are investigating how hackers broke
into the county's Election Commission Web site twice this week.

The hackers posted mock entries under a voter information link.

On Thursday the County Election Commission was alerted to a post under
voter qualifications that read "You may not be a homosexual."

An online hacker intruded again later in the week and added another
line that read, "Your grandfather must have voted."

Both entries have been removed.

Officials are trying to figure out if any laws have been broken.

Those arent the smartest offiocials I have heard of.

Gee, is hacking into government website amd defacing it breaking any laws?

I guess its not if you also find and deface the relevant law ;-)

-JP