funsec mailing list archives

Tor and Porn

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 02:56:43 -0500

I am always looking for ways to speed up Tor. I have a hosted server
configured as an onion router(among other things), and my laptop is also
configured with vidalia.

Sometimes I watch the logs to see what sites people are going to. Of course
I can only see this when I am the exit node. I see a lot of clients are
using Tor for porn. This really pisses me off as porn takers put a lot of
bandwidth and is not really something that I consider a good use of the
technology.

I know that Tor is set up so  people can use it for whatever they want, but
I would really like to block people from using my servers for browsing porn.

Do you guys have any idea if setting up a blacklist on my server for
blocking pron sites would hurt the Tor network in unexpected ways? Any
gotchas there? Also, does anyone know of a free list or porn servers or any
utility that will help me auto blacklist xxxrated content?

What would be a good way to get in touch with others to convince them to
follow suit (if there is even a way to do this)

Anyways, thanks for any response

-JP