funsec mailing list archives

Re: Command line patch checker available?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:03:05 -0700

Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

I remember at one time that the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
was a command line only executable and didn't require anything to be
installed on the machine.  It does not appear that this is the case
any longer.

Although it's still based off of HFNETCHK, it has to be installed,
but then can be run via command line.  I'd like to find a patch
checker that is command line runnable and doesn't have to be
installed.  I don't mind downloading an XML file listing of current
patches, as long as I can do that beforehand.

I basically want to stick this on a USB drive and run it on a machine
without installing anything on the machine it get run on.

I haven't used any of them myself. Shavlik provides a direct replacement hfnetchk, I believe. You can also check the patchmanagement.org archives, I know this has been asked a couple of times in the past there.

                                        BB