funsec mailing list archives

Re: No Tag anymore !?!

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:38:02 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Fergie wrote:

I wasn't necessarily going to mention this, but this topic reared
its [ugly] head again. :-)

[snip]

"Educators Debate Taking The Blood And Explosions Out Of Science"

Can computers and the internet be used to simulate a lab in an
educational setting? This is the subject of an emerging debate, as more
classrooms opt to forego real lab equipment, in favor of virtual
replications. So instead of carving up a frog with a scalpel, a student
can use their mouse to do the same thing. Those in favor of the
practice note its cost savings and the fact that students trained this
way have shown strong scores on standardized science tests.

The predictable response is that virtual training is no substitute for
the real world. And there may be something to this charge. The
antiseptic virtual environment can't train a student to properly care
for lab equipment, take proper safety measure, or deal with unexpected
events that may occur in the process. For anyone who might go on to do
science academically or professionally, these are vital skills. Another
dynamic at play here is the ongoing assault on anything that might be
dangerous.

This summer, Wired had an excellent piece about how new regulations
make it difficult to obtain basic chemistry sets, and other scientific
equipment that could be "dangerous to children". Of course, by
eliminating the possibility of a child ever being in the presence of a
chemical explosion, you eliminate much of what makes a kid want to be a
scientist. If you take the blood and guts out of dissection, then
you're basically just playing puzzle. While computers can be a great
educational tool, with endless possibilities in the sciences, it seems
that kids are missing out by eliminating the real-world experience.

[snip]

Link:
http://techdirt.com/articles/20061020/115901.shtml

- ferg

Religion is dangerous, children should not be exposed to it until they're
old enough - maybe 15 or 16. We need to campaign for the end of religious
instruction and superstitious indoctrination until children are old enough
to be able to handle it.

Lab work, on the other hand, teaches children about the real world, and
how to avoid getting hurt by it. Additionally, as a bonus, it gets kids
interested in physics and chemistry (maybe biology too, but I have to say
I was put off biology by frog dissection).