funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Nokia develops a new, short-range wireless technology

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:52:49 -0400

The big problem I've seen with Bluetooth is cellphones and hands free
systems in cars don't play together very nicely.  For example, the
Toyota/Lexus nav system will crash when it is asked to download an address
book from many brands of cellphones via Bluetooth.  Compatibility testing
doesn't seem to be one of the industry's strong points.

This new Nokia technology is interesting because it makes it even more
likely that we will be carrying around little radio transmitters that
broadcast unique ID numbers that can be easily tracked with load cost access
points.

Richard