funsec mailing list archives

RE: Spyware infection prompts McDonalds MP3 recall

From: Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:07:29 -0400

A Japanese-language statement <http://www.mcd-holdings.co.jp/news/2006/release-061013.html>

I thought I'd help by providing a translation courtesy of Google's beta Japanest-to-English translation service. This
should clear things right up.

LJS

Our company campaign prize “MP3 player”
In regard to virus infection

 This time, the Mcdonald's Co., Ltd. corporation August, " the MP3 player (below, this prize September 29th dispatch)
“of the prize in the sales promotion campaign which is executed part having been infected to the virus was ascertained.
As for this virus there is a possibility of being infected by the fact that this prize is connected to the personal
computer. Therefore, in order use not to do this prize to the customer, we inform.
As factual concern rapidly and it pursues cause, in order that annoyance of the customer is stopped in minimum, you
take concerning future correspondence and hurry and report.

1. Summary and condition of infection virus
The virus of Troy wooden horse type, the worm and the spy wear were discovered.
As a phenomenon, the occasion where this prize is connected to the personal computer, on that personal computer “the
Chinese memo pad stands up”, “message of virus inspection was made”, that and so on 7 cases we have received the
communication which was said in as of 12 days.

2. Customer correspondence
(1) the returns doing rapidly, we execute or less all notification activity in order to receive.
The ① direct call to the customer who is elected and execution of the direct mail
Notification on ② our company home page
<http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/&prev=/language_tools>

Notification with ③ shop front
Notification with ④ newspaper medium
(2) as for this virus there is a possibility of being infected by the fact that this prize is connected to the personal
computer. Therefore, in order use not to do this prize to the customer, we inform.
Thing of the personal computer where the customer who this prize is used has become in use was considered and the
system which download it can receive the virus extermination software was constructed. We link the download sight from
the MacDonald home page
<http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/&prev=/language_tools>
 .
(3) concerning the MP3 player of the prize, making all item collect rapidly, as soon as to receive, be able to prepare
you exchange with the new item.

MP3 inquiry executive office
Presently        TEL .03 - 5148 - 509,924 hour systems
October 14th (Saturday) 9: 00AM~         TEL .0120 - 221 - 4724 hour systems (October 22nd (day) to)
TEL .0120 - 221 - 479: 00~21: 00 (October 23rd (month) from)
MacDonald
Home page        http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/
<http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/&prev=/language_tools>

3. Infection route of virus and cause of infection
 As for this prize the marketing store corporation (Hong Kong) from it is something which is delivered. Concerning the
cause of infection, presently it is in the midst of investigating.
 Being placed on the customer, very much, you say and do not divide, apologize deeply. As in the future similar thing
does not occur, it starts strengthening company internal system more.

<Reference>
MP3 campaign summary
Period: August 4th (gold) ~31 day (wood) [prize dispatch target date: September 29th (gold)]
Prize: Original music entering MP3 player
The number of successful candidates: 10,000 people
Application method: At the private portable campaign sight it inputs the serial number which is stated in the drink of
L size during period, challenges in the game.