funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. warns of possible Qaeda financial cyber attack

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 09:25:20 -0500

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:38:35 EST, "Richard M. Smith" said:
Homeland Security said it had no evidence to corroborate the threat but had
issued the warning out of an "abundance of caution". The department said in
a statement that the threat was for all of December.

Move along, nothing to see...

"There is no information to corroborate this aspirational threat. As a
routine matter and out of an abundance of caution, US-CERT issued the
situational awareness report to industry stakeholders," said Homeland
Security spokesman Russ Knocke.

Geez, some terrorist in a cave says "Gee, I wish we could crash the computers
on Wall Street", and we get in a tizzy.

What would have happened if the guy had said "Gee, I wish we could poison the
entire US supply of Hanes underwear with flesh-eating bacteria"?