funsec mailing list archives

U.S. Congressional Budget Office Mailing List Hacked

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:46:09 GMT

Via ComputerWorld.

[snip]

Hackers have breached the mailing list of the Congressional Budget
Office (CBO), according to the agency.

"There was limited breach of our list server that has since been
patched and closed," said Melissa Merson, a CBO spokeswoman. "When
people access a federal government computer, that's considered a
possible criminal violation. So we've referred the matter to the
appropriate law enforcement authorities, and it's under investigation."

Merson said the hackers sent out a message purporting to be a CBO
e-mail, but she declined to offer any details because the matter had
been referred to law enforcement officials for investigation.

[snip]

More:
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9004108

- ferg