funsec mailing list archives

Cyber Thieves Steal Entire E-Mail Accounts

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:59:27 GMT

Via WBAL (Baltimore).

[snip]

A new type of online crime is occurring, but this may be something that
e-mail users can't do anything to resolve.

WBAL-TV 11 News I-Team reporter Mindy Basara said criminals are
stealing e-mail accounts and using them to get into personal business
and finances. Basara said many e-mail services wouldn't help you get
your account back.

Lisl Moyer spent hours trying to undo a mistake she said she wouldn't
make again. She accessed her Hotmail account on a public computer and
believes she forgot to log out. The next time she tried to log onto
Hotmail, she couldn't because her password had been changed.

"They had changed my secret question," Moyer said. "How they changed my
secret question, I have no idea."

[snip]

More:
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/10314510/detail.html