funsec mailing list archives

RE: Month of Kernel Bugs - day 1

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 03:51:56 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Craig Schmugar wrote:
Without that exploit code, only select few can protect themselves, if at
all.

In principal I agree with you, but in practice (with public exploit code) I
see few protecting themselves and a bunch exploited.

In theory, I agee with you. In practice, you are no longer correct. What I
see is popular exploitation by mass means that would use whatever is
available, and do so daily, while without the "proof" of an exploit code,
we would see no vendor patches.

Without the exploit code, I see few exploited.  Yes, it's hard to assess how
many are affected from an unknown vuln, but I am not aware of a case where
more were affected before an exploit became known compared to after the
exploit was made public.

And yet, massive exploitation CAN be averted. Other attacks which
obviously happen, can not. Over-all, when vendors are forced to patch, we
all become more secure.

If some do not patch, it is a different issue all together. Now, I have to
agree that no mater the reason, these people still get compromised. Thing
is, they already are.

Many are sacrificed for the good of a few.  Better to have the information
in the hands of the few who can and do protection themselves, than share it
with the world (idealistic, I know).

Excuse me? Up to this point I was with you. Secrecy has its place, yes,
but the days of numbered few ruling realms of safety and money, where the
oposition of theives and bagabonds is on top of it and attacks
relentlessly are over.

Erm - take a look at how futile hoarding viruses is today, when they are
everywhere. In theory, sharing viruses is pure evil. In today's world, in
practice, it "saves lives".

Additionally, hackers are being taught concepts to go find many more
vulnerabilities, and there's no way vendors can patch at the pace that many
attackers can create exploits.  Attackers are given tools to make the job
easier, and to circumvent mitigation.

That I can not accept. It is about what's important enough to invest
in. Whether releasing more secure products to begin with, or to patch them
after-wards.

So the tools are distributed to create a level playing field, right.  If the
good guys have the tools that the bad guys have, they can anticipate the
attack.  Vendor's QA teams can find the vulnerabilities before products
ship.  Consumers of those products can find the vulnerabilities before
they're attacked.  Security providers can use the tools to create proactive
protection before attacks happen. However, any 1 vendor, consumer, or
security provider can not contend with an army of attackers.  And even if
they could, you're talking about attacking the infinite space.  So you could
find and fix/mitigate tons of vulnerabilities and they may not be the
"right" ones.  Which takes me back to the notion of providing the tools to
the good guys without helping the bad guys.

Bad guys don't need help, and vendors have nulnerabilities being published
equal to their size and MONEY infrastructure.

In other words: excuses.

History has already shown that without the threat of full disclosure,
vendors do not care in any way about fixing vulnerabilities. That is why
bugtraq was created. Today's imperfect world of "some vendors being
proactive or even reactive" is thanks to full disclosure as a threat,
which was proven.

History you say? No longer relevant?

Look at the gaming world going through this stage. Look at SCADA systems
vendors, going through exactly the same problems. They are all about to
start facing the world of full disclosure. Sounds scary? Good.

"Good guys" is not limited to the vendor themselves.  Vendor pressure was
one of your earlier points.  Whomever can apply such pressure can be given
the exploit with the understanding that they may share it with the vendor
and no one else or they will be cut off the next go around.  Or that they
only get the exploit if they agree to pressure the vendor, etc, etc.

But the world doesn't work like that. Exploits exist, being sold and
used. While we rely on software which is simply insecure.

So you ask, what about the small fish, how are they to protect themselves?
I'll refer to my earlier statement about the good of the many outweighing
the good of the few, and in most cases I'd argue that those few are at
reduced risk through obscurity.  Plus, even those with the means to protect
themselves often struggle to do so (including the small fish).

Okay. I am putting you in the mass that can't protect itself. Now make
that statement again.

You surprise me by having some good arguments on one side, and then a ton
of excuses on the other.

Craig

        Gadi.