funsec mailing list archives

Re: Vegemite Ban Update

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:20:32 +0000 (GMT)

Date sent:            Wed, 1 Nov 2006 22:56:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:                 Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>

Would you like to hear my story about Marmite and the Dutch border
officials? I can't remember if I already told it here.

I told my octopus story.  So give, already!

We had a distributor in Holland, but he was actually British, and he told
me that it was really difficult to get Marmite in Amsterdam. So I offered
to bring him some from England.

As I came in through Customs, the Dutch official searched my bag, and
found a large jar of Marmite. He asked me what it was. So I explained to
him, showing him the list of ingredients on the label. He looked rather
suspicious, and asked me to open the jar so that he could check inside it
(ah, those innocent days when border officials were worried about drugs,
not explosives).

So I opened it up, and invited him to rummage around inside the jar. It
was a very large jar.

He sniffed at it, and decided not to bother.