funsec mailing list archives

How did they ever get this suitcase on a commercial airliner?

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 10:14:03 -0400

http://news.com.com/2300-7349_3-6102103.html

 Researchers with suitcase
<http://i.n.com.com/i/ne/p/2006/Bluebag1_449x600.jpg>  open case
<http://i.n.com.com/i/ne/p/2006/Bluebag2_449x600.jpg>

Drive-by hacks from a suitcase

August 3, 2006 5:27 PM PDT

Luca Carettoni (left) and Claudio Merloni are security consultants at Milan,
Italy-based Secure Network. The two created the BlueBag to raise awareness
about the potential of attacks against Bluetooth-enabled devices, they said
in an interview at the Black Hat security event in Las Vegas.

The BlueBag is a roll-aboard suitcase filled with hardware. That gear is
loaded with software to scan for Bluetooth devices and launch attacks
against those, the two men said.

"We started evaluating how Bluetooth technology was spread in a metropolitan
area," Carettoni said. "We went around airports, offices and shopping malls
and realized that a covered bag can be used quite effectively for malicious
purposes."