funsec mailing list archives

Re: RE: [privacy] Gas prices and car driving

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 17:11:24 -0400

On 8/4/06, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:
On 8/4/06, Richard M. Smith <rms () bsf-llc com> wrote:
> In addition, Montana adopted a maximum speed limit of 75 MPH for interstate
> highways in 1999:
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States#Montana
>
> The zoning out problem should exist in many states between the Mississippi
> River and the Rockies.  However, there is a 2 to 1 spread in death rates for
> similar states in this region.
>
> Regardless, Montana is poor example to hold up for not having speed limits
> on highways.

This is hilarious - why back off Montana? Both of your sources show
that the speed limit has either a negative effect or no effect at all
on highway deaths. The last item on your first source has the number
of deaths by year. Referencing your second source it seems the
important years are 95-99:
Deaths total:
1995    215
1996    200
1997    265
1998    237
1999    220

Since the new law passed (which started halfway through 99 I believe):
2000    237
2001    230
2002    269
2003    262

This hardly proves your case.

To be statistically accurate, you have to correlate these numbers with
the population growth over the years as well as miles driven per
person.

-JP<who is still amused that in drsolly's world the slow lane IS the left one>