funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hackers Hit South African Banks

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:25:45 -0400

On 7/4/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 13:07:17 -0000, Fergie said:
s have penetrated Internet banking facilities and hacked into
> the accounts of clients of three major banks, a Cape Town newspaper
> reports.
>
> Its website said fraudsters had in the past three months gained access
> to the online accounts of clients from First National Bank, Standard
> and Absa banks.
>
> They stole thousands of rands.
>
> The fraudsters had found a way of hacking into personal or business
> accounts and then transferring money from these accounts to either
> cellphone or Telkom prepaid accounts.

Sounds to me like either a phish or the hackers found a weakness in the
website such as a default PIN, and only had access to some accounts via
the website.  If the actual systems had been breached, the total take
should have been far higher....

Agreed

FYI: 1000 rand= 142.068 USD