funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] VA Laptop Was Sold from the Back of a Truck

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 17:47:42 GMT

Via The Red Tape Chronicles.

[snip]

We have a few more details on what happened to the nation’s most famous
runaway laptop computer during those mysterious two months it was
missing, courtesy of NBC’s Pete Williams. We’re talking about the
computer and hard drive that were stolen from a Department of Veterans
Affairs employee in May, an incident that made headlines because the
hardware contained private information on 26.5 million veterans and
current GIs. Last week, VA chief Jim Nicholson announced in dramatic
fashion that the prodigal computer had been found, but details about
the return were sparing.

NBC’s Williams has been able to fill in some of the blanks after
talking to law enforcement officials investigating the incident.

Both the laptop and hard drive ended up for sale at a black market just
north of Washington D.C., near a subway station outside the Beltway
near Wheaton. We’re talking about the kind of market that is literally
run out of the back of a truck, one official said. Fortunately, a buyer
purchased both components at this black market, keeping the missing
hardware together.

[snip]

More here:
http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/07/what_happened_t.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net