funsec mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Virus Testing and Consumer Reports

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:33:54 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Drsolly wrote:

I'm really surprised that neither Paul nor David knew that this repository
already exists, and is shared by the AV vendors, on a vetted basis.

Really?

You're surprised that really, really bright and clearly intelligent
folk who know virtually nothing about what they're now talking about
might miss something so fundamental?

Wow -- and I thought you were one of the smart cookies in all this...

Thanks for the almost-compliment, maybe.

   [Anti-virus companies] have to understand that if they hoard [new
   malware samples], then they're going to be lonesome.

We understood that 15 years ago - that's why we set up sample sharing. I
regularly attended sessions when everyone present uploaded all their
samples to a server on a specially-set-up-for-the-occasion LAN, then
everyone downloaded everything that was uploaded.