funsec mailing list archives

Re: write viruses? it's controversy time of the month

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 02:10:34 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Blue Boar wrote:

Dude VanWinkle wrote:
What if the viruses you create are programmed to only work on a
private IP range (10.254.127.0/24), or that expire after a certain
date (say 1 week).

Does that remove the unwanted moral hangups?

Most people in the AV industry would say that you created a variant, and
now they might not detect it, and that's much worse (than spreading the
original.)

Interestingly, I did pretty much exactly that with Nimda.A, in order to
test a product I was developing.  Afterwards, I thought I would be a
good guy, and submit samples to the AV companies.

Uh - no. That's not being a good guy. Being a good guy, means you deleted
all copies of the virus.

By sending it to the AV companies, you have added a very tiny amount to
the virus problem.

If a product is doing exact identification (such as Findvirus certainly
did when I was maintaining it), then an addition variant means that I have
to add ten or twenty bytes to the driver file. This makes the product take
a minute fraction of a second longer to run (because it's reading a longer
file at startup), and consumes fractionally more bytes on the distribution
diskettes (or if distributing over the net, adds a tiny fraction of a
second to the download time.

I spelled out what I
had done in the email.

I said something to the effect of "I made a variant of Nimda.A".

Most of the responses I got back were "That's a variant of Nimda.A.  We
detect it as 'Nimda.A'"

Uhh... thanks.

Surely at least one of them explained to you why what you did wasn't a
good idea?