funsec mailing list archives

Re: Overloading AV software, was Question about Viruses

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 14:01:05 -0400

On 7/7/06, Richard M. Smith <rms () bsf-llc com> wrote:
>>> But for the most part massimo is right, it's a dumb strategy

Hmm, what if the bad guys overloaded a user with virus warning messages as a
stratergy to get people to turn off their AV software.  For example, could a
Web page download a few hundred image files with known virus signatures
tacked on the end of each file in order to make AV software go nuts?  Could
the same trick be used in an HTML email message?

I already have an HTML application that is triggering false positives in
Symantec because Symantec thinks a bit of VBScript code I wrote is a
malicious code.

Thats what you get for using symantec ;-)

If you want to stop this, just cut and paste half of the .vbs code
into two different txt files and then scan copies of each to see which
one is detected, then repeat this with a copy of the txt file that was
identified as a virus until you get to the smallest bit of code that
is still "detected" as a virus.

Change the code and voila', no more virus :-)

-JP