funsec mailing list archives

RE: Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 20:02:37 +0100 (BST)

I've noticed a lot of bad feeling against the AV companies. People think
they write the viruses, people think they deliberately hype the problem,
people think that AV products should be made so they don't need updates.

A lot of the comments are "The AV companies don't like to see third party
testing, and that's why they're against this test."

There's a lot of confusion about why this test isn't a good thing - too
many people are focusing on the ethical issue (I think that's a major red
herring, it's not too difficult to ensure the test files get destroyed)
and not enough are focussing on the issue of whether this is actually a
useful test.