funsec mailing list archives

Re: Worst Invention Ever

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 10:08:00 -0800

Date sent:              Fri, 5 May 2006 00:12:25 -0400
From:                   "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>

We could soon see a new kind of display screen from computer maker
Apple – one that simultaneously takes pictures while showing images.

When you look into the Web, the Web looks back into you ...

The clever idea is to insert thousands of microscopic image sensors
in-between the liquid crystal display cells in the screen. Each sensor
captures its own small image, but software stitches these together to
create a single, larger picture.

I didn't see details of the sensors, but I assume it could be done in the same way
that arrays of radio-telescopes work, or, even more dangerously, in the same way
that phased array radar works (although I doubt you'd be able to adjust the timing
finely enough for that.  Still, technology does advance ...)

OK, security implications (even though I've put OT in the subject line).
Remember when Apple came out with voice-recognition Macs, and people were
running around offices, sticking their heads into co-workers cubicles, and yelling
"Computer! Shutdown!  Yes!" as an office prank?  (I wonder if someone will get
around to creating a virtual keyboard or pointing device, based on the computer
"watching" your gestures?  Anyone want to bet against it happening?)  Or, even
more recently, the malware that could be used to remotely bug an office by turning
on the microphone on the computer and streaming the audio?

The intention stated in the patent is to use the screencam for videoconferencing,
and so, presumably, the software used to stitch together the image will be tuned for
someone sitting directly in front of, and close to, the screen.  However, there is
nothing to say that the software can't be patched so that someone can pan around
the room.

And then, of course, there will be those in management who will want to use it for
"employee monitoring," which has a number of issues whether or not we get into
privacy concerns or considerations of informed consent ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
            Fantasy is not our crutch, it's arcane.
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm